CPA, ABV, CFE, Director
Brent Boutwell brings a unique skillset with 12+ years of combined experience in public accounting, damage analysis for litigation, business valuation, and building a business in the developing world.
With a background in financial statement accounting and auditing, Brent conducts financial analysis on forensic accounting and damages cases and works directly with businesses to help them assess their value. His work on commercial litigation matters most often involves lost profits, shareholder disputes and international business challenges. He also plays a key role on our team by performing quality review and in monitoring of process controls.
Brent is passionate about justice and meaningful work to help people come to an agreement. He is good at getting to the root of a complex problem and finding the sticking point. Brent serves as the neutral voice, pointing out the noise versus the real issues at play.
Given his prior experience at global accounting firms, Brent is familiar with best practices in a variety of industries. He developed skills in project management, compensation systems, internal controls and process mapping. Brent also brings cross-cultural management skills having lived overseas while running a new business in Uganda.
Select Engagements & Prior Experience
- Analyzed transactions between family members and a family-owned business to determine the outstanding balance under multiple scenarios. Provided an expert report and testified at deposition.
- Analyzed damages related to unjust enrichment claims and prepared federal reports for class action lawsuits in multiple venues.
- Calculated lost profits resulting from a breach of contract claim between an American licensor and its European licensee.
- Performed a value calculation to assist with settling a dispute between family members who became shareholders in an inherited business.
- Calculated the value of a marijuana dispensary for use in settling a shareholder dispute.
- Analyzed shareholder distributions and related company transactions to identify amounts owed to shareholders by the estate of a deceased partner.
Chief Operations Officer – Sseko Designs, Inc.
- Built manufacturing facility in Uganda hiring and overseeing a team of 60 employees; managed employees in Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, and the U.S.
- Corporate Secretary responsible for consolidated financial statements
Senior Associate – KPMG, LLP
- Financial statement audits and controls testing for private and public companies with revenues ranging from $350,000 to $760 million
- Reporting for executive and stock-based compensation,
alternative investments, and a variety of disclosure requirements
Professional Credentials & Education
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Oregon
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV), American Society of CPAs
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Master of Public Accountancy, Mississippi State University
- Bachelor of Public Accountancy, Mississippi State University
- Mississippi CPA Board – Gold Medal recipient for highest CPA exam score
- Mississippi CPA Board – Most Outstanding Graduate Student
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
Professional & Community Leadership
- IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
- Human Rights in Childbirth, Former Treasurer
- Uganda Investment Authority speaker “Strengthening Small and Medium Enterprises”
- [email protected]