ASA, Director of Valuation Research
Paul Heidt brings 20 years of specialized experience in financial analysis and research. He has performed 180+ business appraisals for litigation, gift and estate tax planning, marital dissolution, business transactions, reorganizations and succession planning.
Attorneys and business owners count on Paul for solid business appraisals, lost earnings analysis and litigation research. He helps a business understand how much it is really worth by looking under the hood and doing the due diligence to paint a full picture of its financials. Paul is passionate about research and helping businesses solve issues.
When there is more at risk, or a report is required by the IRS, Paul conducts an extensive review process and delivers a full appraisal.
He does more complex work that involves multi-tiered entities and comes up with different ways to attack issues that may not be the more obvious options.
Paul previously served as Manager of Financial Research for the publishing firm of Business Valuation Resources, LLC (BVR). He managed several private company transaction databases, including Pratt’s Stats®. Paul was also the Managing Editor for a quarterly economic publication used in appraisal reports and books contributing to the body of knowledge in the business valuation profession.
Selected Business Valuations and Litigation Engagements
- Civil contractor and construction company for litigation purposes, $400+ million revenue
- Organic and novelty food manufacturer for litigation purposes, $50 million revenue
- Music copyright licensing company for charitable donation reporting, $50 million revenue
- Tea manufacturer for tax reporting purposes, $40 million revenue
- Commercial truck and trailer manufacturer for business planning purposes, $30+ million revenue
- Hardware store for estate planning purposes, $20 million revenue
- Worldwide paper distribution company for 409A valuation purposes, $15 million revenue
- Natural and organic product manufacturer for business planning purposes, $12 million revenue
- Inbound calling service company for business planning purposes, $10+ million revenue
- Seed retailer for business planning purposes, $8 million revenue
- Advertising agency for the purposes of a shareholder buyout, $5 million revenue
- Bond fund management company for business planning purposes, $3 million revenue
- Underground utility contractor for marital dissolution, $3 million revenue
- Construction management company for marital dissolution, $2+ million revenue
- Tree and shrub nursery for litigation purposes, $2 million revenue
- Clothing retailer for business transition, $2 million revenue
- Craft brewery for compensation reporting, $2 million sales
- Gift reporting purposes of an asset holding LLC that contained over 30 tiered LLC entities
- Litigation involving a property management company
- Calculation of lost wages for litigation purposes
Professional Credentials & Education
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation, American Society of Appraisers
- Completed the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ CPA Exams
- Post Baccalaureate in Accounting, Portland State University
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, University of Portland
- American Society of Appraisers
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants
Publications & Presentations
- New Tax Law to Have Significant Impact on Business Valuations
- Which Valuation Approach is Best for a Manufacturing Company?
- Using Comparable Businesses to Value Your Own Company
- Synergistic Values in the Organic and Natural Foods Industry
- Presenter for education courses on valuation through the Oregon State Bar
- Managing Editor of the Economic Outlook Update™, a quarterly publication reviewing the United States’ economy, 2001-2009
- Provided research and content in the 1st edition of Dr. Shannon Pratt’s Market Approach to Valuing Businesses, 2001
- Managing Editor of BVR’s Guide to Discounts for Lack of Marketability and Guide to Business Valuation Issues in Estate and Gift Tax,
- Wrote articles on select business appraisal topics in the Business Valuation Update™, 2000-2009
- Managed and populated Pratt’s Stats®, a database containing 14,000+ transactions of privately-held businesses, 2000-2009
- Provided research, content, and edits to Serena Morones’ “Buzz abounds on markets for trading startup shares,” Portland Business Journal, July 26, 2010